Friday, May 31, 2013

My Healthier (and Tastier) Green Bean Casserole for any Season

So, if you know me, you know I LOVE casseroles!  Especially for dinner parties.  They can be made ahead and incorporate all kinds of goodness into one dish.  One of my favorites to make as a side for dinner parties is Green Bean Casserole, because people love it.  Although, I will admit in my lazier college days sometimes green bean casserole was my dinner.  Here is my twist on a classic.

*Easter Brunch photo courtesy of my little sister, Jennifer Hofmann 

Ingredients:

1 1/2 to 2 lbs FRESH green beans cleaned with the ends snapped off and snapped in half (in a bind you can use 4 (14.5 oz.)  cans of french style green beans with the water drained instead)
1 (14.75 oz.) can Cream of Mushroom Soup (large can)
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup skim milk
1/2 plus 2/3+ cup french fried onions (generic works fine)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

Boil water in large pot.  Once water is rapidly boiling add green beans.  Cook for 2-4 minutes until slightly tender, do not overcook (you will be putting them in the oven too, and the less they cook the healthier for you they are).  Drain and set aside.  Skip this step if using canned beans.

Place the cream of mushroom soup, milk, pepper, and 1/2 cup french fried onions in a 13X9 inch pan (or other large casserole dish).  Stir to incorporate.  Add the beans and stir well to cover beans with sauce.  Cover dish with foil.  Bake for 30-40 minutes, until warmed through.  Remove from oven, uncover, add remaining french fried onions to cover (using more if necessary to cover or if you just really love french fried onions, like me).  Return to oven and bake uncovered for 5-10 minutes.  Serve Hot.  ENJOY!!!

Serves 8-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment